Skip to main content

{{ root_page.title }}

SEN Support in School/College

SEN Support in School/College


When Special Educational Needs (SEN) has been identified in school or college, Teaching staff should work alongside specialist support to identify where a student may be having some difficulty. 

If you are finding the work difficult, this doesn't necessarily mean you have SEN. 

The following should not be assumed

  • That you have SEN because you have lower attainment compared to your peers
  • That you have SEN because you are finding some work difficult
  • That you have SEN because you have a Disability 
  • That you don't have SEN because you are studying on a higher course 


Every child/young person with special educational needs should have SEN support. This means help that is additional to or different from the support generally given to most of the other students of the same age.

For further information on SEN Support at School, please go to: 

  • Page 100 
  • Read from section 6.44

For further information on SEN Support at College, please go to:

  • Page 114 
  • Read from section 7.13

You can find the link to the SEND Code of Practice on the following link: 


SEN Support in School can look like:

  • A special learning programme 
  • Extra help from a teacher or a learning support assistant
  • Making or changing materials and equipment
  • Working in smaller groups 
  • Supporting you with physical or personal care, such as eating, getting around school safely, toileting or dressing
  • Advice and/or extra help from specialists such as specialist teachers, educational psychologists, and therapists.


SEN Support in College can look like:

  • Assistive technology
  • Personal care (or access to it)
  • Specialist tuition
  • Note takers
  • Interpreters
  • One-to-one and small group learning support
  • Habilitation/independent living training
  • Accessible information such as symbol based materials
  • Access to therapies (for example, speech and language therapy)


If you are not happy with the support being provided, you can take the following steps:

  • Have a meeting with your teacher 
  • Write down your concerns and show the teacher 
  • Make a complaint if nothing changes

For information on what you can do to prepare for meetings, please click on the following link

SENDIASS Webpage - Preparing for Meetings