Skip to main content

{{ root_page.title }}

Financial Support Services

Financial Support Services


Here you can find information on financial support services/payments you may be able to access. 


If you are a higher education student living in England, you are able to make an application for a Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability, including one of the following:

  • Long Term Health Condition
  • Mental Health Condition
  • Specific Learning Difficulty, e.g. dyslexia

To find out more, visit the DSA webpage on the link below.


A Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long term ill-health or disability.

For additional information on the eligibility criteria and application process, please visit the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) webpage on the link below:

Website -


Universal credit is a monthly payment to assist you with living costs. For more information, please click on the link below:


If you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits, you may be eligible to make an application for Carers Allowance. 

For more information on how to apply and the criteria, please visit the Carers Allowance webpage on the link below:


If you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, you may be entitled to get a grant from the Council. This for example is to:

  • widen any doors and install access ramps
  • improve access to rooms and facilities – e.g. stair lifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

For further details and information on how to apply, please visit the Disabled Facilities Grants webpage on the link below:


Havering Welfare Rights Service provides Benefit Advice and Assistance to Havering Residents. You can contact them on:

Telephone - 01708 434444


This service provided by Havering Council offers Appointee & Deputyship to residents living in the London Borough of Havering.  This service is for people who cannot manage their finances due to lack of Mental Capacity.

An Appointee  can only manage State pension and benefits. They must then use this money for the person on their behalf and in their best interests

An Appointee however, has no legal authority to manage property and financial affairs and in most cases, it is also necessary to apply to the Court of Protection to be a Deputy.

If you wish for Havering Council to become your Appointee and or Deputy, you must speak with your Social Worker. If you don’t have a Social Worker you can do the following:

Telephone - 01708 432000